Tuesday, June 29, 2010

साउथ अफ्रीका..nostalgia

Varun my elder son and Poonam are in South Africa for a three week holiday
Varun studied in Durban and Johanneburg for about 4 years and also worked there.So he is showing all the places to Poonam

I am talking to him everyday on the phone and as and when he tells me what he did in South Africa it brings back nostalgic memories of the good times we spent there from 1993 to 1997

It was a challenge to be posted there as we had to start from the scratch..setting up the office,looking for office space,recruiting staff,developing the route,upgrading the aircraft from a A310 to a daily 747 service,welcoming Inder Gujral the first Indian PM to independent South Africa,one to one meeting with charismatic Mandela...the list can go on

But the memoirs of Durban where I was posted will not be complete without mentioning the good friends we made...Sharma Maharaj (now Late)and family,Rabi and Vijay and the children,Suresh and jane and family,Shirley naidoo of Hair sensations (I had rechrishened her shop as HAIR TRANSFORMATIONS after seeing her weave magic with the peoples hair),Latha Reddy Consul general India in Durban,Vinay and Pooja,Anil and Anu,Skand and Kusum Tayal (all from Indian Consulate)Anoop and Atula from Hindustan Levers........and so on and so forth.Sarita
and Vivek (still in SA),Pramod and Sheela Khandelwal(now in Indore),Sharmas (in NOIDA)
Not to forget Romi and Rajendra Chetty,Mamoo and devi rajab who got Varun admission in the University of Westville ,Yogin Devan who gave Varun his first journalistic break.

I got hooked on to South African wines ,enjoyed the Brai(equivalent of Barbeque),learnt how to gamble and lose,bet on horse racing attend Chefs Lunches in the Hotel Kitchen

Over a period of 4 years I recruited about 12 to 15 staff and the culmination was when about 5 of the staff who had left AI for grrener pastures came to attend a farewell dinner which I hosted for my staff.I can never forget Sonal Soni nee gandhi (great granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi)my first assistnat in Durban,Kavenna pather,Kalpita

Such are the ties ,the love and affection that we got there that I often prayed that I be demoted in AI and sent back to South Africa.

Buth then if wishes were horses angels would fly

Thank you Varun and Poonam for taking us back to South Africa and relive those memories through your eyes..God Bless you both

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and unforgettable people whom ex meet along the way in our life while working or traveling

    ReplyDelete